More about me
Where have I been?
I am an entrepreneurial, idea-driven systems thinker as well as a design strategist, working in innovation projects for business and social change in parallel to lecturing and research projects. Trained to be a designer, I have lead businesses and processes of change through design thinking skills, improving or developing the way we do things, the things we do, and the thinking behind how we do it.
My first degree (BA) is in Graphic, Product and Interior Design and more recently reengaged with academia firstly through the MA in Design and Branding Strategies (Brunel University – 2006-7) followed by research activities. The MA research focus was the Homeless Reintegration – needs assessment, and the role of strategic design to design-out social exclusion. The interest in this field is driven by a personal passion for Design, Social Innovation, complexity and wicked problems. Industry experience includes several years as Creative Director in advertising, design management, MD for an Educational Resources SME, retail, luxury retail, fashion, textiles, as well as training in performance and talent management, several projects in the field of social inclusion and sustainability projects.
Recent projects in the UK include:
- consultant to review the National Occupational Skills for the Design Profession in the UK, with the Design Council and the Skills Alliance,
- founder of The Thinking Hotel®: a co-design platform focusing in collaborative user-led innovation
- design strategist of Plan Zheroes©: a social innovation project to inspire businesses to diver surplus food from waste, current project is on the 2011 London Leaders and RSA Catalyst funded project
- board advisor for the Happiness Bus©: a Design research project for inclusive design in public transports
- Negowaste©: a design research project to design-out waste) as well as innovation management, organizational and cultural design, through my own company London YNOT.
- also a member of the mOn – Metadesigners Open Network, the HCDI – Human Centered Design Institute (Brunel University), IoD – Institute of Directors, and the IOM-Packaging Society.
More about me or current projects:
What I’m talking about:
- Intersectional innovation
- Disruptive innovation
- Business turnaround and business models (Change Play Business)
- Coopetition, co-design, co-creation
- Social Innovation
- Design-out waste
- The use of imagination
- Natural Inclusionality
- A world of intangibles